Thursday, November 02, 2006

'Twas the Night Before Departure...

Not really, it's actually 2 nights before departure, but it might as well be one. That "harried" feeling is sneaking up on me. It feels like I've been rearranging cupboards and packing for days, yet all I see is what still needs to be done. Well, I've done this often enough to recognize the stages of departure (I'm making this up as I go, but the stages are there nonetheless). This is the reckless stage. During the early stage (when I start packing) I'm meticulous and everything I want has it's place in my luggage. The reckless stage begins when I realize that both suitcases are full to maximum capacity, overweight, and most of my earthly belongings are still lying on the bed! Quite a bit of reckless "stuff-turfing" happens at this point; it's re-prioritization really. Things I thought I needed, I suddenly realize I no longer need because other more important items would be left out if I did. I won't be-labour the point. I'm sure you get the picture. My Goodwill pile is ginormous by now! My next 24 hours will be spent weighing and re-arranging the re-prioritized, re-packed items. Packing is one of my least favourite parts about travel. What else can I say about my last moments in Canada except it's a flurry of departure related kafluff and a roller coaster of feelings as we leave our kids behind. "Sniff". I catch myself remembering what life in the bush is like and I wonder what kind of home awaits me now. It will be a rather empty one with a broken coffee maker, enough supplies to "get by" (just the way I left it), but with the added challenges of +40 weather, the beginning of bug and snake season and currently, poor water supply (let's not go there :)). And yet, I look forward to it all! God truly is good and compassionate on all He has made (including me). TTYL. And yes, if you remember, do pray for me!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

The only thing that comes to mind is Cupid or Comet squeaking. "Mommy!" I have NO idea where that came from except maybe the fact that I'll be praying!!! :)

Royden Lepp said...

Oh Lynnie....God made you out of tuff stuff. Good thing cause He couldn't use some wimp out there in the bush! I wish you could just stay here with me in rainy cold Seattle and we could hit Target and sip lattes together. I was thinking about you when I was at the gym sweating on the eliptical trainer. Running in place trying to burn off calories and accomplishing little else. I also spend about 10 hours per week sitting in my car accomplishing little. As much as I love my middle class life it can feel selfish and dull. Bigger. Better. Faster. More. We're all called to make the most of the life that God affords us. Your life is an encouragement to me and a reminder of what really matters. I'm glad that you get to live in Africa and accomplish much, even if that means you don't have a house, water and worse- no starbucks! I love you...and am trying to be more diciplined about praying for you!!!!

Russell said...

heh....finally got a chance to read this. Say hi to Mushu for me!